Print this page

The History of Low Row

We have recently said farewell to our two ministers, the Revs Stephen and Hilary Collinson, who, during their seven years ministry, over-saw the uniting of the two Swaledale Churches into one, Low Row with Keld United Reformed Church. We thank them for their faithful ministry in these challenging times.
The Low Row Church dates from 1809... but the heating system is definitely C20th !

It is a typical non-conformist chapel with pews, an organ loft, a rear gallery and a small narthex where such children as come can be taught separately and Bible Studies are held. It is lovingly looked after by the members. Currently, there are no children but visitors are made welcome and quickly catered for.

Low Row has a small but faithful congregation most of whom are native to the dale but with a number of 'offcumdens', mostly from the world of education. One of the glories of the fellowship is that, apart from the accents, you cannot tell which is which, all feel equally at home.

As the church is built into the hillside, access is by a short flight of steps. This can make it difficult for wheel-chairs...but there are always strong men available to help!

Keld Chapel, further up the dale, is older than Low Row, its first reference appearing on a map of 1577. The present building originates from1789 but was substantially modernised in 1818 when a school-room and Manse were added.

We are part of the Tees/Swale Mission Partnership with our sister churches in Darlington and Northallerton. Our other founding Mission Parnership church, in Barnard Castle, closed in 2016.